Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

The Dutchess

The Dutchess

Date: Oct 02 2006

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

The Black Eyed Peas have lost their lady. Well, not really. Even though Fergie is enjoying success with her first solo single, London Bridge, she insists that she’s still a part of the band, and that they will be touring together.

In fact, all of the Peas make an appearance on her album, titled The Dutchess. Ludacris, B-Real, and Rita Marley also contribute.

Logan and Amanda are Black Eyed Peas fans. Listen to them talk about Fergie.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Logan

Logan

Amanda

Amanda

Logan:  I used to like the band called Black Eyed Peas. You’ve obviously heard of em.

Amanda:  I have.

Logan:  Nowadays, they’re huge. Uh, But I liked ‘em before… and I like looking at her… but I liked ‘em before Fergie was in the band.

Amanda:  You don’t think she’s rounded out the group?

Logan:  In a poppy way, yeah.

Amanda:  To have a female voice as part of the group?

Logan:  I think it’s good but for my like… I like their old… it was kind of, like, Tribe Called Quest hip hop style.

Amanda:  I agree. I agree with you.

Logan:  That’s what I like to listen… And this is just… I mean, I… The music is catchy which is selling more, they’re making more money, but do you call that selling out or not?

Amanda:  I don’t know. It depends how you look at it. It’s totally given them a new sound and obviously she’s a female voice so it’s a completely different sound and you have to admit she’s obviously… like you said, you don’t mind looking at her. Think of how many more people listen to that group or watch their videos because Fergie’s part of it and if she were… Let’s say she left. Do you think as many people would tune in?

Logan:  No. They wouldn’t make as much money…

Amanda:  You would. An orignal supporter.

Logan:  ... If they… if their music was the same as it was before, I would. But if it is still the same, even with or without Fergie, I just… I saw the change in music when she entered the band.

Amanda:  Absolutely. And when Fergie came on board, she actually gave that group sex appeal. You have to admit they had absolutely no sex appeal before she stepped on board. None.

Logan:  They’re not the best looking band in the world. I’m not gonna lie. I’m…

Amanda:  And Fergie’s become a celebrity now.

Logan:  Yeah she has. She has a new album I think. Is that what I heard in the news?

Amanda:  How do you think it’s gonna do?

Logan:  I don’t know. I… It’ll probably be like Gwen Stefani and leaving No Doubt, that’s what I’m thinking.

Amanda:  And?

Logan:  And she obvioulsy made money. I don’t like her music, but…

Amanda:  I think everybody’s gotta try stepping out alone, right?

Logan:  Hey…

Amanda:  Go out on a limb?

Logan:  ... You gotta do what yo gotta do to make your scrilla.

Amanda:  It’s gonna be hard to step back, though, huh?

Logan:  I think it will.

Amanda:  Once you leave a group, you’re gone.

Logan:  Yep.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Logan was a fan of the Black Eyed Peas before Fergie joined the band. He liked their earlier hip hop style better than the pop style they have now.

Amanda agrees, but she also likes the female influence in the band. She also points out that Fergie made the band sexier, and therefore more popular. She likes the fact that Fergie is trying it out solo.

Do you listen to the Black Eyed Peas? Have you heard Fergie’s single London Bridge?

Comments

mmparsy

mmparsy

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

not bad

10:04 PM Jul 02 2009 |

miffoo

miffoo

Slovakia

Fergie is cool :)

11:56 AM Jan 15 2009 |

lilwayne naruto tpain