简体
Monsters University
怪兽大学

Learn English with this movies English lesson

Date: Aug 05 2013

Themes: Pop Culture

Grammar: Present Perfect Tense

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Monsters University is a new release from the animation studio Pixar. It’s a prequel to the popular Pixar movie Monsters, Inc., and it tells the story of a few monsters who go to college. These monsters don’t major in typical subjects like history or mathematics, though. They major in “scaring.”

Though they don’t appear on screen, some famous actors have contributed their voices to Monsters University. Billy Crystal is the voice of monster Mike Wazowski, and John Goodman is the voice of monster Sulley Sullivan. This voiceover work seems very popular for actors these days. Is it possible that it requires less work from them, but they still get paid lots of money?

Find out if Greta and Mason are excited about Monsters University in this movies English lesson.

《怪兽大学》(Monsters University) 是皮克斯 (Pixar) 动画工作室推出的电影新作。它是皮克斯热映影片《怪兽电力公司》(Monsters, Inc) 的前传,讲述了几个去上大学的怪兽的故事。但是,这些怪兽主修的并不是历史或数学这类典型课程,而是如何“吓人”。

虽然一些著名影星没有出演《怪兽大学》,但却担任了这部影片的配音工作。比利·克里斯特尔 (Billy Crystal) 和约翰·古德曼 (John Goodman) 分别为“大眼仔”麦克 (Mike Wazowski) 和“毛怪”苏利文 (Sulley Sullivan) 配音。近来,配音工作似乎颇受演员们欢迎。难道是因为这类工作不但工作量少,而且报酬依然丰厚?

在本节以电影为话题的英语课上,看看格里塔和梅森对《怪兽大学》是否热情高涨。

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Greta

Greta

Mason

Mason

Greta:  My favorite Pixar movie of all time is Monsters, Inc.

Mason:  Yes.

Greta:  Which I know is kind of an unusual choice. Most people go for Toy Story. So I’m really excited about Monsters University.

Mason:  I’m glad someone is, because I look at it and I’m like, this seems dumb. It’s the prequel that nobody needed to make.

Greta:  Yeah, and it’s hitting a weird demographic, where the kids who watched it when they were young children have outgrown cartoons. Maybe it is for the adults who watched it with those kids. I loved loved loved Billy Crystal and John Goodman in the first one. They did the voiceovers for the two main characters. I just think it’s going to be fun. They’re majoring in scaring, and they have this big rivalry, and then in Monsters, Inc. they’re best friends. To kind of see that progression of the friendship.

Mason:  So, yeah, they made this movie for you. It is tying in to that nostalgia of “Hey, remember this thing that you like so much? Let’s go hang out with them more.” Just like The Hobbit, which I have no reason to criticize anybody who wants to do anything like that. Because The Hobbit was great.

Greta:  Absolutely.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Present Perfect Tense" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Greta’s very excited about the upcoming movie, Monsters University, because it’s the prequel to her favorite movie from the Pixar studio. Mason likes Monsters, Inc. too, but he doesn’t really see the point of the prequel.

Greta agrees that the new movie is probably just coming out to satisfy people’s nostalgia. But she really likes the actors who do the voiceovers in the movie, and she thinks it’s going to be cool to see how the characters became friends.

And even though he’s critical, Mason understands. He is a fan of some prequels, like The Hobbit, so he can’t be that judgmental of Greta’s enthusiasm.

Did you see Monsters, Inc.? Are you excited about Monsters University? Do you like animated films, or do you think they’re just for children?

Comments

sara1998

sara1998

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

well,my sister is 28 years old and we bothe liked this cartoon very much.it’s great and I’m crazy about it!!!

:)

09:02 AM Aug 20 2014 |

mohamma

mohamma

heeeeeeee!

but, episode 1 is very better than episode 2.

but not bad episode 2.

03:42 PM Nov 14 2013 |

princessanika

so i on’t watch it yet but i heared it’s a very funny cartoon. i think they right and it’s a funny cartoon. i really wanna watch it. it can be funny.

08:30 AM Aug 13 2013 |

Mr. Learner

Peru

@I M P E R I V M, okay, thanks. 
From my point of view, I believe in conspiracy to some point, but some people are exaggerating. So, I don’t belive everything. 

05:37 PM Aug 06 2013 |

I M P E R I V M

United States

@ mr. learner no Nimrod lived way before Abraham. no my friends thats not me in the video he is mark fairley but I have permission to use his videos.

02:22 PM Aug 06 2013 |

MAHSA1995

MAHSA1995

it is awsome,i love cartoons!i have a younger bro & i watch movies with him whenever i have time for!

Hotel Transylvania is the best animation cartoon ever!

01:28 PM Aug 06 2013 |

Mr. Learner

Peru

@ola33, I agree with you. 
I think he has a good accent.

01:05 PM Aug 06 2013 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Imperivm, nice voice!

12:40 PM Aug 06 2013 |

Mr. Learner

Peru

@Ola33, I don’t know much about these things, too. So, I can’t tell what is the meaning of these symbols. 

12:10 AM Aug 06 2013 |

1 person likes this

Mr. Learner

Peru

@I M P E R I V M, is Nimrod the one who was ruling in the age of prophet Abraham – peace be upon him – ?! 

Another question about the video, I haven’t watched it yet, but are you the one who is talking in the video? 

11:10 PM Aug 05 2013 |

1 person likes this

I M P E R I V M

United States

@ Mr. learner and ola33 here is the link to one of my channels in case you want to learn about Nimrod http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL5DUCybLC0

11:03 PM Aug 05 2013 |

I M P E R I V M

United States

@ Mr. learner and ola33 no my minions the all seeing eye is not a representation of “God” but all the opposite….

there was a king named Nimrod (cool name) that was the first dictator in history he and his people constructed a very tall pyramid from which he would “watch” all his servants and where he would be the highest of the “highest”

That pyramid was THE TOWER OF BABEL….but nowadays the elite of this world admire that man and want to do the same but this time on a global scale and thats why you will see this particular symbol everywhere (money currencies, logos, banks, movies etc) sometimes you only see the eye, or the pyramid or a combination.

10:58 PM Aug 05 2013 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Mr Learner, I’ll go with the interpretation as all-seeing eye of God, devine providence. It’s interesting, I didn’t know about this symbol.

09:50 PM Aug 05 2013 |

3emma3

3emma3

Iraq

I like animated movies. i dont know if it is a nostaligia for childhood or not. Sometimes i ask my kids to tell me the time of some animated series. Unfortunately i didnt see the Monster’s prequel but  i have seen the monster Inc more than one time.  I like it too much. It is a very interesting world full of nice monstors :)))

08:26 PM Aug 05 2013 |

Moriza

Moriza

Ukraine

Watching cartoons is interestingly and entertainment for both as children as adults.

Not surprisingly that new modern animated films replaced the ones we used to watch in our childhood.

Being a mother, from time to time, I watch cartoons with my kids and  should admit, that some of them left an unforgettable impression upon me.

If you want to escape from a harsh reality—watch a cartoon and get a mix of excited feelings plus good spent time.

06:37 PM Aug 05 2013 |

jef_maiko

jef_maiko

Brazil

No, I didn’t. But I intend to watch it. I like animated films. I’m used to watching them with my son. They are awesome!!!!!

04:10 PM Aug 05 2013 |

Andressa Holland

Brazil

I really LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED Monsters, Inc. and I’m really excited about this one ‘cause it’s a very well done movie, well edicted, well produced, well dubbed and very funny! It’s great! I know that this movie won’t be as good as the first was, never, but I wish it is good, though.

I don’t think that animated films are for childrens only and I don’t think that nowdays animated films are even childish, mainly Monsters. It’s the kind of film for all kind of public, childrens, adults, old, youngs. It’s for who want to have fun and a great time, laughing a lot and enjoying an innocent film, without all of those sex scenes or violent scenes that we’re getting so used to see on the big screen.

04:03 PM Aug 05 2013 |

neginrezaei2013

I love this movie.**

03:58 PM Aug 05 2013 |

noo smile

noo smile

Egypt

oooooooooh i like 

02:50 PM Aug 05 2013 |

Jasonlongo

Jasonlongo