Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Snowflakes
Snowflakes

Learn English in this unique English lesson

Date: Feb 03 2020

Themes: Weather

Grammar: It's vs. Its

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Snowflakes are one of nature’s biggest mysteries. These ice crystals fall from the sky as unique shapes. No two snowflakes are the same. Even more interesting is that all snowflakes are examples of geometry. How is it possible to find math in nature?

Of course, the more you think about it, the more examples you can find. Beeswax is made of hundreds of hexagons (a shape with six sides). Many plants grow in a geometric way. Even the inside of an orange can teach a child fractions. Math is everywhere once you start looking for it.

Lily and Jessica love the geometry of snowflakes, but they disagree about snow. Learn more in today’s English lesson about winter weather.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Jessica

Jessica

Lily

Lily

Jessica:  Lily?

Lily:  Yes?

Jessica:  It is so cold out. I am so over it.

Lily:  But it’s so cool. It snowed yesterday…

Jessica:  Oh my gosh.

Lily:  ... and then you can see all the ice crystals forming on the windows. And snowflakes are a crazy… I don’t know. Each one is unique. It’s so cool.

Jessica:  Well, I like snowflakes because they are individual shapes. It’s like they’re geometry. But I definitely prefer the hotter, warmer, more balmy temperatures.

Lily:  Yeah… Playing in the snow is one of my favorite things in the world. When you were a kid, did you ever do that thing where you would fold up the paper, and then cut the snowflakes? And each one would be different. It would be so cool just to see what everybody came up with.

Jessica:  I did. I prefer a paper snowflake over real snowflakes any day.

Lily:  Fine.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "It's vs. Its" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Jessica is tired of the cold weather. She appreciates snowflakes for their shapes, but Jessica would prefer that it was warmer outside. Playing in the snow is definitely not her idea of fun. She’d probably prefer the beach instead.

Lily has a very different opinion from Jessica about snow. To Lily, snowflakes are truly beautiful. Each one is unique. Watching the snow fall reminds Lily of cutting snowflakes from paper as a child. Lily would probably spend hours in the snow if she could.

Does it snow where you live? What’s your opinion of snowflakes?

Comments

bluesky97

bluesky97

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Yes we have snow but less than before!

Of course snowflake is an amazing and beautiful miracle of nature in this world!! One of millions miracles.

And for me winter is the most beautiful season but when I am at home with a cup of hot chocolate in my hands😁

01:48 PM Jan 29 2019 |

digidigdigidig

Antarctica

all of us have unique character like snowflakes.  however, human being is selfish and cruel. hope go straight to all like white snowflakes are pure and beautiful

12:32 PM Jan 29 2019 |

xin7

xin7

Chile

Snowflakes are so cool! As they said their geometry is very interesting, they are fractals, indeed.

In my city is very uncommon to have snow falls. Temperatures are regularly over 0°C in winter. But the rare days when snow falls happened, all the people were very happy playing in the snow as children!

10:27 PM Feb 01 2015 |

Seiyf_khawas

Turkey

10:38 PM Jan 29 2015 |

1 person likes this

albasel1975

Germany

Thank You my friend nadaabdulraheem.... It’s a normal reaction when reading your very inspiring comments.

09:14 PM Jan 29 2015 |

nadaabdulraheem

Saudi Arabia

You are welcome albasel1975  What nice expressions you ‘ve used!!

06:09 PM Jan 29 2015 |

albasel1975

Germany

Thanks nadaabdulrahman for your very nice comment… I now understood what you mean… 

We all live on the same planet, some live in the day light while the others are in the dark, some are being burnt under the sun while others are being freezing wishing to see the sun…etc

Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.

Thanks again Nada

10:18 PM Jan 28 2015 |

nadaabdulraheem

Saudi Arabia

Thank you albasel1975 for your comment. You ‘re right but actully the weather in Saudi Arabia is more warmer and dryer than you can imagin. I visited Egypt many times in the summer and I liked the weather there at night especially next to The Nile :).. but also in The US in spite of the weather where I am living is sooo cold and snowy in the winter, its hot in the summer. I feel like that the sun is immediately over my head! I don’t feel comfprtable also in the summer here because most of the time I need to walke for about 15min and that never happened in my country. And you know as a muslim girl I have to wear a cirtain clothes so that the reason I cant stand the heat. Thanks again for sharing your opinion :)

10:06 PM Jan 28 2015 |

mahshid2015

hi

08:24 PM Jan 28 2015 |

tar1ta

tar1ta

Antarctica

It’s cool when it snows. Heavy snowfall reminds me of some fairy tale.

There is little snow in this country now so it is hardly possible to make a snowman.

~

Yes, I like winter and especially I like holidays in winter.

07:50 PM Jan 28 2015 |

albasel1975

Germany

R_P

Exactly !! ... I do believe it ; ” ”the grass is always greener on ther other side of mountain”

and that what I mean in the last line of my previous comment..

Thank you R_P for your very correct and intelligent add.

05:35 PM Jan 28 2015 |

1 person likes this

R_P

R_P

@ albasel

The grass is always greener on the other side …  ;)

03:32 PM Jan 28 2015 |

albasel1975

Germany

The comment of my friend ” nadaabdulraheem” attracted me so much… because she draws a future picture of mine and my future impression when visiting a cold country in winter season… Unluckily, most of my visits to the cold countries are in the summer.

But living in warm or hot climates are not such bad as you mentiones NADA … But because in our countries, we have different weather, we are very impressed when expreincing living in new conditions. When foreigners visit our countries ( saudi Arabia or Egypt – as an example ) they enjoy very much Safari trips in the desert, the enjoy the sunny weather most of the year..etc.

In short, it’s a human nature that man like to change and to be changed.

06:18 AM Jan 28 2015 |

nadaabdulraheem

Saudi Arabia

I’ve been in the us for 3 years, and each year I have the same feeling when I saw the snow for the first time:) I can’t stop taking photo for the amazing views around me. Actually, i don’t like the warm weather so much. Sometimes it makes me exusted and reduces my enery. It easy for me to be adjusted in the winter. The fashion also seems more cooler at this season.

10:27 PM Jan 27 2015 |

sensitiveheart1

Poland

Indeed, I don’t like the cold weather. Now, here in Poland it is snowing, and all surface, trees, houses and etc are white. It looks so cool, I love taking photos of snowflakes and winter lanscape, but sometimes the cold weather become dull. By far, I’d prefer warmer weather.

12:54 PM Jan 27 2015 |

Mahtab.bp

Mahtab.bp

@S&W

Thank you for very interesting information about your amazing country!

I wish to visit China in future! :-)

06:54 AM Jan 27 2015 |

2 people like this

S&W

S&W

China

@Mahtab

It is interesting that both of us living in china and have totally different climate.To be honest,Not just climate,even culture,food,habits and customs have big difference.citing an example,We both speak chinese ,but i speak mandarin and he speak cantonese .Thanks to he can speak mandarin,if not i don’t how can we communicate with each other.But,We have English Baby,a very special place for us to study and make friends

02:54 AM Jan 27 2015 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Eric, amazing! It’s a very beautiful region.

01:13 AM Jan 27 2015 |

Eric_

Eric_

China

@ola33  

I live in Guangdong province. Foshan city  ^^

12:48 AM Jan 27 2015 |

albasel1975

Germany

In Egypt , it never snows… It has been an eternal dream for me to enjoy living in a snowy country even for a day… I think seeing the white view of snow falling, trees , hills, mountains and houses covered with snow is a charming view even if it was freezing.

I have enjoyed all your comments, and I postponed my comment till reading the all comments of all my friends who live in cold countries … You enriched our imagination.

Thank you for all the wonderful comments

Likes (22):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast