Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

On-Demand TV
On-Demand TV

Learn English: Meaning of On-Demand TV

Date: Mar 19 2019

Themes: How To, Tech

Grammar: Be Able To

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

It wasn’t that long ago that if you wanted to watch your favorite TV show, you had to be at home to see it when it aired. If you were out and didn’t save it on a video tape, then you’d miss it. But new technology has made it much easier to never miss an episode.

Almost everyone has a DVR connected to their television to save shows. There are also services that let you pick any episode of your favorite show that has already aired and watch it anytime. It’s very convenient, but it also makes it easy to watch too much TV!

Jessica tells Lily about how on-demand TV is great, but she might have to stop spending so much time in front of her television. Find out more in today’s English lesson about not overdoing it when watching your favorite shows.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Jessica

Jessica

Lily

Lily

Jessica:  So, Lily. We recently got Netflix, which is kind of like on-demand TV.

Lily:  Yeah.

Jessica:  And I have been binge-watching TV a little more than I think I should. I think it’s becoming addictive.

Lily:  I think binge-watching is actually addictive. Because you don’t interact with people. You just sit in front of your TV screen all day. You’re not active. You’re not doing anything. You’re just sitting in front of your DVR. You live inside the world of the show, instead of living in the moment.

Jessica:  It’s true. I might be overdoing it. But I also feel like I’m able to stay current and up-to-date on all of the shows I like to see, including some very awesome documentaries that I feel are educational.

Lily:  OK. Fair enough. Just go outside and take a walk so you still have control of your legs.

Jessica:  There you go. That’s a good idea. I’ll remember that.

Lily:  Good.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Be Able To" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Jessica is excited that she’s able to watch some of her favorite TV shows anytime with on-demand TV. She likes that she can stay current and also discover new things that she has not seen before. But it can be a little addictive, and she’s been spending too much time in front of her television.

Lily is worried that Jessica may be watching too much TV and not doing anything else. She just wants to make sure that Jessica is also doing other things like spending time with her friends. Lily suggests that Jessica go outside every now and then to experience the real world.

Do you use on-demand TV? Does it make you watch too much television?

Comments

Louise_Dazzle12

United Kingdom

<a href=”www.abc.com”>thanks for sharing</a>

[url=”www.abc.com”]thanks for sharing[/url]

11:56 AM Jan 10 2017 |

tar1ta

tar1ta

Antarctica

ola33, it was a quite soothing comment before going to bed and having dreams :)

06:10 AM Mar 17 2015 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

We all will be old, Tarita and who knows what will be driving us in those lonely evenings when all your family and friends are gone..

12:56 AM Mar 17 2015 |

2 people like this

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

I’ve never heard of this on-demand TV

But before,as a teenager, I was a TV addict. Now I’m not even watching my favourite horror movies.

Recently, for two years, I’ve been watching anime, if you heard of One Piece and Detective Conan _ Each one is over 600 epidodes . I was binge-watching them online, I even remember that I watched 24 episodes of One Piece one day, and I was sitting in front of my PC all the day. It’s totally wrong. And now I’m not overdoing it. 

But I still spend too much time on my PC, it’s for learning, but it’s still harmful.

10:40 PM Mar 16 2015 |

julito1

julito1

Argentina

Tarita, i am glad for the old lady. May her wish be granted .

09:34 PM Mar 16 2015 |

tar1ta

tar1ta

Antarctica

julito1, one of my neighbours, an old lady, wanted to live to see “Los Ricos Tambien Lloran” finale, so a soap opera can be a great motivation to live.

09:32 PM Mar 16 2015 |

tar1ta

tar1ta

Antarctica

moha15, that’s it, the expression I couldn’t remember: a couch potato.

I’d say, I’m not a couch potato, I’m an armchair traveler at home and a desk jockey at work :D

09:27 PM Mar 16 2015 |

moha15

Kenya

It’s cool sometimes enjoying your time but sitting in front of the TV being coach potato that’s harmful to yo your health

09:14 PM Mar 16 2015 |

julito1

julito1

Argentina

Tarita , i see your point , i am afraid that i also will   be so hooked into the turkish`s soap opera  plot  that i  would have less time to do others things that i am interested in.

On the other hand, a comedy that i couldn`t missed  was ” the big bang theory” . In my country now we are having mostly reruns so i have entirely lost my interest on this show.

08:57 PM Mar 16 2015 |

evil_genius

Turkey

I never liked to watch TV. I prefer to watch documentary on internet. and movie, on big screen. :)

08:56 PM Mar 16 2015 |

tar1ta

tar1ta

Antarctica

julito1, people all over the world seem to watch Turkish soap operas nowadays :)

I don’t like soap operas because they are toooo long and I would have to watch them every day at the same time.

08:37 PM Mar 16 2015 |

tar1ta

tar1ta

Antarctica

bebeba, I agree with you. But sometimes there is nobody to speak with them so I watch videos in the Internet. I don’t like TV (a lot of commercial broadcast and TV shows). When I want to watch something I search for it in the web :), as a rule it’s documentaries or thrillers.

Spending times with friends is much better, but adults have little free time, you know, and sometimes we don’t have opportunity to meet…

08:28 PM Mar 16 2015 |

bebeba

Russian Federation

I don’t watch TV at all. I prefer real life, not smb’s fantasies.

07:53 PM Mar 16 2015 |

habiba 18

habiba 18

Tunisia

i dont like television :/

07:18 PM Mar 16 2015 |

2 people like this

Mahtab.bp

Mahtab.bp

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Right Shoba! ;-)
Nothing is better than real people , real place and real relationship!
But virtual world has its flavour! :-D

05:59 PM Mar 16 2015 |

Nanoz

Nanoz

United States

I Don’t watch TV that much so sometimes I forget that I have TV  but if  I hear about some show I search for it on youtube and that is a problem as I try to finish all series in one day or two so I do my best to avoid this as I like reading books, and going out not just stuck at screen

Mehdi23

Mehdi23

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

the speed of technology progress is unbelievable .
we can save the programs and show to watch in free time with DVR (Data Video Recorder) and its good becouse we can plan to do our chores on time . but the joy of watching some programs and specially sports competitions are is watching live

03:22 PM Mar 16 2015 |

Shoba

Shoba

Sri Lanka

Thanks for liking the quote, Mahtab.bp.

It’s wonderful that you prefer to interact with people than living in a TV world. Nothing beats the joy of the real world, right?

03:22 PM Mar 16 2015 |

JohnUnger

United Kingdom

Thanks it was very useful! Awesome lesson. If you need help with your paper assignmnets you should refer to assignmentmountain.com/help-with-dissertation

01:51 PM Mar 16 2015 |

1 person likes this

ola33

ola33

Japan

Never used that recording of TV shows. Watching a good movie is a blast even though you’re not in the moment, but it makes your further moments more brighter and happier. I have a temporarily ‘Show me’ channel now and so much enjoying the movies of 80-90s. I like the movies of those days, especially thrillers that really thrill to watch.
My fav.show is Mind your language:))If it was in TV I’d record it, since on YouTube the quality is not the best.

12:34 PM Mar 16 2015 |

Likes (20):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast