Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

piece of cake

piece of cake

Date: Oct 31 2019

Themes: Celebrity, Pop Culture, Work

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“When I was president of the company, I said, ‘OK, I can do this… piece of cake.’ Then when you are the CEO, it gets harder because you worry about everything.”

CEO of PepsiCo Indra Nooyi, talking about her difficult job (BrainyQuote)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

something done easily

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Think of something that you are really good at. Did it take you a long time to be so good? Some people are naturally better at some things than other people. But if you work hard, and spend a lot of time doing something, it will probably become really easy for you. When you can easily do something, it’s called a piece of cake.

Depending on what you practice a lot, different things will be a piece of cake. For example, if you have been driving a car for many years, you probably think driving is a piece of cake, but someone who doesn’t know how to drive wouldn’t think the same thing. Or, if you love to read William Shakespeare’s writing, you might think it’s a piece of cake, but it’s not easy for everyone! Keep practicing what you love to do, and pretty soon, it will be a piece of cake.

CEO Indra Nooyi thought that being the president of Pepsi was a piece of cake, but now her job isn’t so easy. She understands that when you do something new, it can be really hard.

What is something that might be hard for other people, but is a piece of cake for you?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“Science class is a piece of cake for me. I don’t have to study and I still get A’s!”

“I always thought working would be a piece of cake, but it’s not that easy.”

“You’re so lucky that riding a bike is a piece of cake for you.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

a2020 Very easy.
by a2020
Manu4 An easy thing to do
by Manu4
something easy to do
by zhaleh hoor
AryelLanes It means that a certain task is extremely easy to tackle
by AryelLanes
aijaciba Easy to do!
by aijaciba
Sth is very easy.
by liamliams84
Shoba Pretty easy!
by Shoba
julito1 easy task
by julito1

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

leain

leain

China

nothing is a piece of cake for me, i need more prctice

05:38 AM Oct 31 2019 |

Sergijko

Sergijko

Ukraine

Math exercises was a piece of cake for me. I even participated in math competitions out from my school.

11:38 AM May 31 2015 |

willy1908

willy1908

Peru

To learn foreigner languages is a piece of cake for me…I’m kidding! hahaha

03:42 AM Apr 05 2015 |

1 person likes this

OPQ

OPQ

China

Eat a cake is piece of cake but make a cake it needs a lot of work.

11:40 PM Mar 29 2015 |

2 people like this

yamylight

yamylight

Germany

cooking  many dishes in few hours is a piece of cake but cleaning the kitchen after that is disaster i spend the whole day in cleaning.

Drawing is a piece o cake , reading is piece of cake but reading the doctors paper beleive me it will takes me days to understand the mystery words and writing an essay about  history no way.

10:36 PM Mar 28 2015 |

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

Studying for my exams is not a big deal for me. I’m actually a last-moment person, so I usually study about only hours before my exam, and surprisingly, I get high grades. My colleagues wonder how it can a piece of cake for me while it takes them hours of hard work. Lucky me! _

04:59 PM Mar 27 2015 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Hi, Julito. It was your alter ego. You did it for the purpose to meet the ’ pro’ and check who is real pro here. :))

03:06 AM Mar 27 2015 |

julito1

julito1

Argentina

OLA,  hola,   only my ego has had minor bruises. OK. I can live with that.  jejejeje

12:24 AM Mar 27 2015 |

1 person likes this

ola33

ola33

Japan

Julito, thanks god you stayed alive afte that piece of cake.

12:10 AM Mar 27 2015 |

1 person likes this

julito1

julito1

Argentina

Dear Tarita, we have heard that expression ” jack of many trades, master of none ”. I am a handy man ,after many years of working  on the construction  business  i have learned how to solve so many problems ,but….... when it comes to  fix domestic`s electrical problems i can go as far as changing a light bulb . You were right with your comment . By now i should have known my  limitations  and don`t offer my professional services if  i am not qualified for.       

10:05 PM Mar 26 2015 |

bkaarthik

bkaarthik

India

Its really going good!!! I hope i will learn something!!! :-)😊😋😋😋😋😋

05:34 PM Mar 26 2015 |

tar1ta

tar1ta

Antarctica

julito1, sometimes we want to show our friends that we can do almost everything, “No problem, piece of cake!” and sometimes we fail…

nithima

Thailand

Easy to do and confident to success

04:40 PM Mar 26 2015 |

s11211s

s11211s

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Doing lots of thing is a piece of cake for you!
You think, first time you start breathing, drinking, eating, getting up,  walking, speaking and … , all of them first time weren’t easy for you! but today you are good at them!
You have done a lot of thing in your life easily! If you are good at some work, maybe you won’t them for a long time, doing again won’t be a peace of cake for you!
Imagine you don’t walking, speaking, driving, writhing for some years, do you thing they will be for you as easy as when you did them everyday?
I am sure if we we have opportunity for listening, speaking, reading and writhing English every day, we will be good at them after one or two years!
Being good at some thing, depends on how meny time we do that!

04:17 PM Mar 26 2015 |

Seiyf_khawas

Turkey

julito, why didnt you call me for this piece of cake as a Pro ? :)))))))))))

12:11 PM Mar 26 2015 |

julito1

julito1

Argentina

A piece of cake ? that was what i thought when i said YES, I can do it !!

One of my clients was moving out  and needed  to disconect a ceiling fan  ,(although i am not an electricist) she asked  me if i  could do that  for her . A piece of cake ,I  thought. I didn`t know what i was getting into . There were a bundle of cables to be disconected from the motor  , i was afraid of  making a mistake, so i quitted ,I am sorry, you have to call a Pro , i excused myself.  a piece of cake  indeed, only that this cake tasted sour…. jejejejejej

Seiyf_khawas

Turkey

”  ohhhh ,its very easy ,its a piece of cake for me “

we often hear it in daily life…yess somethings are very easy for some people ,but not for all people..for exp, ı cannot cook any meal ,its not piece of cake for me ..also ı dont understand knitting ,sewing,ıroning…ı cant make paper ship ..ı cant draw or paint ..ı cant sing..they arent piece of cake for me..

but ı can write poem, its piece of cake for me … 

” love is you ..and you are love ” 

very easy :)))))))))))

imtiaz433

imtiaz433

Pakistan

hm.. piece of cake. i can’t think of any think which is like piece of cake..:p ohh no no. there is one thing.. Sleeping.. sleeping is really piece of cake for me..:D :D

i can easily sleep all day and bunk classes. :P woow.. piece of cake.. :D

ola33

ola33

Japan

In our language when we want to say it’s a piece of cake, it will be – like to spit once, like to go down the hill, like for the dog to eat a fly.

ola33

ola33

Japan

Yes, snow that is the little sheep just made itself comfortable in front of the lion. I don’t think it’s a piece of cake for the lion and for the sheep too. :))

Likes (15):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast