Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

the middle of nowhere

the middle of nowhere

Date: Apr 16 2015

Themes: Celebrity, Music, Tech, Travel

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“Coming from New Zealand, all the music I listen to is not made by New Zealanders. People never come to New Zealand to play music because it’s in the middle of nowhere.”

Singer Lorde, speaking about music she likes. (BrainyQuote)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

far from where most people live; far away from a city

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Where are you right now? In your home? At school? Because you are using the Internet, you are probably somewhere with other people nearby. But there are many places in the world that are much quieter. Places with no Internet, no cars, and very few people. These places are called the middle of nowhere.

The middle of nowhere describes places on Earth that seem very far away from other people and technology. Do you like camping? If you do, you wouldn’t want to camp right next to your house. You would want to be in the middle of nowhere. Or, if you live in a small town, you might think it is in the middle of nowhere because you would rather live in a big city like New York.

Singer Lorde says that her home country, New Zealand, is in in the middle of nowhere. Even though New Zealand is a big country, it is very far away from the rest of the world. Since Lorde’s favorite music comes from other parts of the world, she thinks New Zealand is in the middle of nowhere.

When is the last time you were in the middle of nowhere? Where were you?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“My college was in the middle of nowhere. There was no city within 100 miles.”

“We went camping in the middle of nowhere. The stars were amazing.”

“I grew up in the middle of nowhere, so I had to come live in the city.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

Lia_Lia15 It refers to "isolated" places, to places which aren´t connected with others.
by Lia_Lia15
aijaciba Far away from places where people tend to live.
by aijaciba
julito1 isolated place
by julito1

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

Sergijko

Sergijko

Ukraine

If you tired from the urban style of life it is good chance to buy a house in the middle of nowhere, like in a country.

12:37 PM Aug 25 2015 |

NIJ321655

NIJ321655

United States

Begin in the middle of nowhere is fun if you are with some one.

04:15 PM Apr 22 2015 |

s11211s

s11211s

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Around big cities you can’t find places are called the middle of nowhere! I some weekends try to exit from the city and find a place doesn’t have any sign of urbanization, but it need to go more and more! everywhere are cars, apartment!

But it’s interesting to me when I find a place away from city, after several hours I can’t be there! I used to live in city! Where I call the middle of polluted air, water and mind!

We used to live in cities, all of us used to whatever bad or good we have in city, we growl about difficulties of city life, but we even don’t think about living in the middle of nowhere.

06:19 PM Apr 17 2015 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

A month ago the elcetricity was shut down on us for 10 hours. Holly cow!! that was rough! All traffic lights in two regions didn’t work. It was a literal crawl along the traffic. Finally we got home and I found myself that I’m dying for tea. But it needed a boiling water. Desperately started looking on the Internet when the electricity is to be back. And it did got back!! but in 3 hours. Yes, the facilities, we live with are taken for granted and we have no idea how we would miss them when they’re gone. 

On the other hand, it’s nice to bring yourself in the middle of nowhere. Just to feel how it is without electronics, to feel the nature, its beauty. The middle of nowhere more and more is moving futher from us.  In our, full of electronics life, will the future generations  be able to feel that magestic feeling of nature, will they be able to hack  on their own, to do crafts, to clean, to cook… before the electronic world will totally ingulf and turn into zombies.

01:41 AM Apr 17 2015 |

julito1

julito1

Argentina

La Princesse, Hi… yes, we take it for granted ,water , electric power and quite a few amenities , but the truth is that millions of people   live in extreme poverty and the basic needs are   luxury that   can only dream of.  

09:24 PM Apr 16 2015 |

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

I feel sorry and bummed when I learn that there are some villages and towns where basic needs like clean drinking water, electricity and fit accommodations rarely exist, let alone internet and high luxury life aspects. It seems like these people live in the middle of nowhere, although they are not technically that really far from other urbanized places :((

I surely want to try to be in the middle of nowhere for a while, camping, or visiting a kind of isolated place, at least quiet – not literally isolated :D, but it’s not that easy here. I know it’s a little out of my reach, but I’m still seriously thinking of it :))

09:05 PM Apr 16 2015 |

ScienceBoy

ScienceBoy

Turkey

There are only a few comments today. Where are you Ebabians!? I am starting to feel in the middle of nowhere :)

07:23 PM Apr 16 2015 |

chtnvt

United States

I feel I am in the middle of no where when I travel to US National Parks including Yellow Stone, Glacial National Park, Yosemite National Park. Mountains, hills, ancient trees, lakes, waterfalls, wild meadows and their serenity give me the effect of being in the middle of nowhere

01:58 PM Apr 16 2015 |

ScienceBoy

ScienceBoy

Turkey

New Zealand is one of the most beautiful countries in the world. I would love to live there. Yes, it’s in the middle of nowhere and that’s the beauty of it. It’s not destroyed by humans so pure nature. New Zealand has such an amazing nature and such a clear sky at night. Have you seen southern sky at night? AMAZİNG. 

Mehdi23

Mehdi23

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

if you look at the world map and find  New zeland you will understand that New zeland is absoloutely the middle of the nowhere.
even thinking to live in such a this place is Frightening

01:31 PM Apr 16 2015 |

julito1

julito1

Argentina

Yeah, i have experienced  that weird feelings of  while travelling by car in a foreign country  i found myself in the middle of nowhere,  and praying to God that the car  didn`t break down , as there will be little chance that  somebody could come to rescue  me  before it is too late. .... a feast for the vultures. jejejejejeje   

11:49 AM Apr 16 2015 |

Shoba

Shoba

Sri Lanka

I used to visit my grandparents every summer in my school days. They lived out in the boonies where there was no electricity, water taps or any other modern facilities.

I enjoyed the stillness and tranquility of that place and it always gave me the feeling of being in the middle of nowhere. 

Likes (9):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast