Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

crying over spilt milk

crying over spilt milk

Date: May 07 2015

Themes: Celebrity, Food, Health, Pop Culture

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“I don’t like looking back. I’m always looking forward. I’m not one to sit and cry over spilt milk. I’m too busy.”

Chef Gordon Ramsey, speaking about his busy schedule (BrainyQuote)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

worry about a small mistake; worry for no reason

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Sometimes we make mistakes. We do our homework wrong, or we forget people’s names. But most of the time, our mistakes aren’t very serious. It’s important to remember not to cry over spilt milk.

Crying over spilt milk means making a big deal out of something that is not very important. For example, if Steve gets mad at himself because he burned his food, he is crying over spilt milk. He can just make some more food. Or, if Sheila is upset because her friend hasn’t called her back, she should remember not to cry over spilt milk.

Celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay says he doesn’t have time to cry over spilt milk. He doesn’t worry about small problems because he prefers to spend his time thinking about more important things.

Do you ever cry over spilt milk?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“I had a hard day at work, but my mom always told me not to cry over spilt milk.”

“Don’t cry over spilt milk. You barely hurt yourself.”

“Jerry won’t come out of his room after his favorite team lost. He’s always crying over spilt milk.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

Dizelman to fret over an insignificant error
by DizelmanSuper Member!
Manu4 To cry for something you can't undo
by Manu4
aijaciba Regret things which can not be changed.
by aijaciba
julito1 Not crying over what cannot be undone.
by julito1
judinasve To sorry about an action or a thing that can't be turned back and/or fixed
by judinasve

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

asef

asef

Afghanistan

Heheheheheh !!! Dear Shoba thanks for the feedback , Ok I am ready to send you the money,If your daughter does such cases. But i am sure she is too smart and educated will never does . Cuz she is your daughter !

05:29 AM May 10 2015 |

1 person likes this

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

Yeah! It happens each exam I take. I always say I could have done better and sit crying over spilt milk for a while, but then I tell myself “You need to leave it behind and look forward, because you still have more few exams, so deal with what you’re having in hand now, the milk has spilt and it’s done!”

We have the same idiom here in Arabic!

10:45 PM May 07 2015 |

Lejla123

Lejla123

Serbia and Montenegro

I think that is in in human nature to cry over the spilt milk. I say that from my corner of view. But we all know we can’t change anything after somting happen.

02:43 PM May 07 2015 |

Shoba

Shoba

Sri Lanka

Dear Asef,

I was grinning when I read your “kidding” comment. What you say is true, if my daughter breaks my Tv or burns my new clothes I would feel sad and cry over spilt milk.

Then I’ll wipe away my tears and ask my dear friend Asef in Afghanistan to send me some money for giving such ideas to my daughter. 

01:28 PM May 07 2015 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Gordon Ramsey doesn’t cry over spilt milk?!!! For every mistake made in cooking, he’ll just shower with a barrage of indecent words in a very loud fashion and gets going to his meals again. Just a momentary letting the steam out maybe doesn’t count as crying over spilt milk. I think, this guy doesn’t cry over spilt milk in a better way ;) He just sings! That’s a good attitude!

”’O sole mio” :))

12:59 PM May 07 2015 |

NIJ321655

NIJ321655

United States

I do not not crying over spilt milk.

12:39 PM May 07 2015 |

asef

asef

Afghanistan

Dear Shoba, Milk is very cheap no one say any thing if a child spills bottles of milk , Tell me what will you do if your daughter breaks your T.V or burn your new valuable clothes , I am sure you would crying over spilt milk …..hehehehehehheheh its just kidding

10:46 AM May 07 2015 |

Shoba

Shoba

Sri Lanka

My daughter spills milk almost every day. I swear I never cry over it. I just mop it. LOL

06:53 AM May 07 2015 |

Shoba

Shoba

Sri Lanka

Aha, Maher20000, you were not talking about me, were you? 

06:48 AM May 07 2015 |

Mehdi23

Mehdi23

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

its clear crying over spilt milk is doesnt have any effect but its not easy to feel happy after problems for a short while

06:05 AM May 07 2015 |

asef

asef

Afghanistan

This is quiet interesting to me but i am wondering why i can not stop crying over spilt milk, As much as i try my best not to cry over spilt milk but i cant ! Oh sheet , I think its too difficult that your beloved one left you and touched your heart, offcourse we get upset and crying over spilt milk …..........Dont you friends ? But for some cases we can do and for some we cant .

04:31 AM May 07 2015 |

Naveen Singh Shahi

India

Once I lost my mobile that time I cried over split milk but my father told me that I didn’t cry over split milk I had to do necessory things ahead and managed my situation. That time, I leant why we don’t worry about unfortunate event’s which have already happned and which cannot be changed. 

03:52 AM May 07 2015 |

maher20000

maher20000Super Member!

Canada

I don’t like crying over split milk. The problem is: some people spill the milk many times every day.

03:30 AM May 07 2015 |

Eric_

Eric_

China

I recommend his show “Hell’s Kitchen” to you all~~

03:05 AM May 07 2015 |

xenia_f

xenia_f

Kazakhstan

I usually cry over spilt over milk, meaning getting worried with no particular reason. Although I try to work on my traits.

S&W

S&W

China

It is no use crying over spilt milk.

01:22 AM May 07 2015 |

yhoma

yhoma

Dominican Republic

Like Gordon Ramsay, I don’t have time to cry over spilt milk. When I make a mistake I just try not to repeat it and I forget it.

Likes (14):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast