Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Handwriting
Handwriting

Learn English meaning of ‘handwriting’

Date: Jul 03 2017

Themes: Hobbies, How To

Grammar: It's vs. Its

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Many people miss reading and writing on paper. There is something magical about it. It’s hard to describe why. Maybe, it feels more real than typing. Maybe, people like the stroke of their pen on paper. Writing something down just feels permanent and tangible. On the computer, everything comes and goes so quickly. Now, one could call handwriting a “lost art.”

It’s not hard to figure out why. People don’t try to get better at handwriting. So when they write, no one can read it! Their handwriting is illegible and atrocious. Even if they write in standard script, it’s still difficult to read. In the past, people tried very hard to write in good cursive. Now? Cursive is very, very rare.

Kelsey just got a handwritten note from her friend. Listen as Marni tries to help her read it in today’s English lesson.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Kelsey

Kelsey

Marni

Marni

Kelsey:  Hey Marni, I think I need your help. I’m trying to read this note from my friend, and I can’t read it at all. The handwriting is so messy.

Marni:  Oh wow.

Kelsey:  Yeah.

Marni:  Is it in cursive?

Kelsey:  Um, if you want to call it that. It’s completely atrocious.

Marni:  It’s illegible, I take it?

Kelsey:  Yes.

Marni:  Uh, yeah. I’m certainly happy to help you. I’ve practiced and taught a lot of handwriting, both standard script and cursive. It is interesting because we are all so used to typing now that I think handwriting has become a lost art. You should tell your friend to practice this sentence: “The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.”

Kelsey:  Why that sentence? That’s weird.

Marni:  Yes, but it contains every letter of the alphabet. And so they would get practice with every single letter in every stroke.

Kelsey:  Really?

Marni:  Yes.

Kelsey:  That’s crazy.

Marni:  It is but… honestly it’s one of the best sentences to practice with. So, just a little tip for ya!

Kelsey:  Yeah, well I’ll tell him and see. But like, for now can you just help me try to figure out what it says?

Marni:  Yes, yes. Well, you want to make sure to look for the spacing between the words. That’s really important so we can figure out which word it is and… Oh wow, you are not kidding that’s…. OK, let’s do this.

Kelsey:  Kay.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "It's vs. Its" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Kelsey needs help trying to read a note from her friend. She can’t read it at all because the handwriting is so messy. Marni asks her if the note is written in cursive. Kelsey doesn’t know what to call it, but it is completely atrocious. Marni says the note must be illegible. She is happy to help. She is an expert on handwriting, both standard script and cursive. Marni says we are so used to typing that handwriting is a lost art.

She suggests that Kelsey’s friend practice handwriting this sentence: “The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.” Kelsey says that’s weird. Marni agrees, but says it contains every letter of the alphabet. So, they would get really good practice! Marni says it is one of the best ways to practice. Kelsey says she will mention it to her friend, but she still needs help reading the note. Marni agrees and they try to read the note together.

What is special about handwriting? Is handwriting or typing easier?

Comments

ShiningSun

ShiningSun

United Kingdom

The most special thing about handwriting is one’s personal touch to it. It is equivalent to fingerprint in legal matters. People still do signature (in their own handwriting) to close the deals, contracts, and bank cheques/drafts. It need to be preserved at least in primary and secondary schools. Furthermore, calligraphy is an important art form in many cultures.
Regarding which one is easier; it depends which one you practice more. For those who are used to with handwriting, the flow of thoughts will be more fluent in handwriting and those who are used to with typing they will be more fluent to ink their thoughts in typing.

10:52 AM Jan 20 2018 |

berlucchi

berlucchi

Italy

In this society the handwritings are missed because the tecnology come in very quicly.

The people haven’t the time for write a letter because they are all always in hurry.

That’s a pity. 

06:39 PM Jul 06 2017 |

englishteacher24/7

United States

Until recently, cursive handwriting was how you communicated in written English, notwithstanding officially typed letters. In grade school, after learning standard script letters, cursive writing was next and it was in the category of penmanship.

Currently, in U.S. grade schools (except in some private schools) cursive handwriting is not only not taught, but forbidden or not encouraged.

What is special about handwriting is the personal aspect, i.e. it expresses more intimacy if you will, to the recipient.

Nevertheless, typing is much easier and more legible than handwriting. I type the posts I submit to the forums except if I hear something that I think would be a good topic to write on, in that case, I’ll write it down on a pocket pad I always carry.

06:20 AM Jul 05 2017 |

nadaghazaly

Egypt

actually, I love handwriting  for me it is kind of art especially writing in cursive 

08:47 PM Jul 03 2017 |

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

Handwriting is very important and diverse, we have schools here to teach the different types of Arabic handwriting. It’s art and we mustn’t waste it.

For me handwriting is easier, not the best handwriting though.

07:20 PM Jul 03 2017 |

manal_njr

manal_njr

United States

Handwriting is a personal thing that indicates your personality and behaviour and of course typing is much easier I am not bad at handwriting I wish if it was more artistic besuace to have a good handwiting is a very nice feeling .

Mehdi23

Mehdi23

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

accrding to advancement of technology we dont need to write by hand these days.
but its one of best feelings when you write something with nice handwriting and watch it

06:23 AM Jul 03 2017 |

Sid_indore

Sid_indore

India

obviosly typing is easier once you are used to it. But in school in college everywhere in every exam we have to write it by hand so Handwriting must be good i m happy that mine is okay.

03:05 AM Jul 03 2017 |

eduardosoutoSuper Member!

Brazil

I really consider handwriting a lost art and I admire a lot people who even nowadays write using it.

The standard script sometimes can be atrocious, not in my case, because I am proud of how beautiful is my handwriting!

As a teacher, I have to write so much every single day :)

Likes (8):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast