Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Stranger Things
Stranger Things

Learn English meaning of ‘Stranger Things’

Date: Dec 22 2017

Themes: Celebrity, Hobbies, Pop Culture

Grammar: Adjectives

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Everyone loves a good scary story, right? How about a scary story with an endearing ensemble of characters? And a dark, twisted storyline? A story that is capturing the nostalgia of the 1980s for millions of Americans? Fifteen million Americans, to be exact. That’s a lot of people who love the Netflix show, Stranger Things.

Stranger Things is a science-fiction horror show. A young boy vanishes and his friends discover dark experiments, terrifying monsters, and a young girl with mysterious powers. The show takes place in the 1980s. The creators did a wonderful job of capturing the look and feel of many 1980 cultural classics. If you’re into Dungeons and Dragons or Winona Ryder, this show will definitely resonate with you. Fortunately, it’s on Netflix so you can watch as many episodes as you want.

Romeo and Marni love Stranger Things. Listen as they discuss in today’s English lesson.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Romeo

Romeo

Marni

Marni

Romeo:  El is kickin’ it this season.

Marni:  You must be talking about Stranger Things.

Romeo:  You know it. You finished, right?

Marni:  I am actually almost done. I have three episodes left, so no spoilers.

Romeo:  OK. OK, I promise. No spoilers.

Marni:  It’s such a great show. But I also think, because I’m a little older, like, I think I just really resonate with the nostalgia of that time, and I think they did a really great job capturing that.

Romeo:  I know! Isn’t that crazy?

Marni:  Yeah.

Romeo:  Like, where did they find all the vehicles…

Marni:  I wondered that, too!

Romeo:  ...and the furniture. I mean, it just…it’s pretty true to the time.

Marni:  Yeah! And what do you think of the storyline? Like, it’s also…it’s pretty crazy. Like, it’s really…it’s very sweet and endearing with the kids. You know, they’re, like, such a great ensemble. But the storyline itself is pretty dark.

Romeo:  It is. It is. It’s interesting this season because it reminds me a lot of The Goonies.

Marni:  Right.

Romeo:  And then they went and put the actor in!

Marni:  They put Sean Astin in, which I thought was a really nice thought.

Romeo:  I thought that was, that was perfect.

Romeo:  That was…I won’t say anything else! But we can definitely pick up this conversation tomorrow.

Romeo:  I’d love to hear what your thoughts are when you finish those last three episodes.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Adjectives" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Romeo and Marni are discussing the show Stranger Things. Marni still has three episodes to watch, so she asks Romeo not to give away the ending. Marni really loves how nostalgic the show is. She thinks they did a great job of capturing the 1980s.

Romeo also really loves the show. He wonders where they got all the 80s cars and furniture. The show also reminds him of the movie The Goonies. He loves that they cast Sean Astin in the show, who was also in The Goonies. Romeo wants Marni to watch the last three episodes so they can talk about the ending.

Do you watch Stranger Things? Does it make you feel nostalgic?

Comments

ola3

ola3Super Member!

Ukraine

I’ve just watched the first season with my son and totally loved it. We were on the edge of our seats all the time. And about nostalgia, I was wrong. The movies really throws you back into 80’s and it’s good good feeling. Thank you very much for introducing this show. 

07:24 PM Jan 05 2018 |

laminemoh

laminemoh

Algeria

I’m actually not the kind of nostalgic person!

I want to live my moment

05:24 PM Dec 22 2017 |

Likes (7):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: