Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Letters are not popular any more? sms and emails will replace that?

sherryleio

sherryleio

China

I found some letters in the drawers when I cleaned my desk at office the other day, most of them were from my friends, and a couples were from my dad…I had a quick review of letters and noticed that dates were back 1997, 1998, and the lastest one was written in 2001.  I got a warm fuzzy feeling When I looked through the letters, to be honest, I was not so sure if I could still get letters, except for junk letters.  Writing letters seem weird nowadays with the sms and emails having becoming more and more popular.  I asked several coworkers around if any one of them still received letters or wrote letters, all of them gave me the same answer, "why still bother to write letters? it is so fast to send sms or give phone calls."

I do not know what to say, but to be honest, I missed the feelings when I received and read the letters, sms, or phone calls are different, even emails are different….they need to be deleted, or the voice is off when you hang up the phone. The familiar handwritings, the repeatability even after years, the concentration needed when you write the letters, all of them make the letter communications unique.

I rang up the guy whom I once wrote to so often, and told him that I dug up some letters by accident from him, and what I felt about that…we talked on the phone for almost one hour, till then I just realized that I had not phoned him for almost 1 year and we have been friends almost 20 years…the incessant hurry and trivial activity of daily life seems to prevent or at least discourage quiet and intensive thinking…I know, the hurry of city life can not be excuse…the same day I sent him a letter with white paper, since I could not find a sheet of letter paper around…funny…then I went to buy some letter papers and envelops the next evening, I was happy as I knew I can pick up something before it's too late…

Say out what you think…take care, be well…Sherry

03:57 AM Aug 02 2006 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Felice

Felice

Philippines

I like the topic you raised here.  I still write letters thru snail mail. I handwrite my letters to my mother, my auntsand sometimes to my brothers and sisters in the US.  I'm still old-fashioned when it comes to writing letters.  Email is for convenience,but you don't feel the warmth of a handwritten letters.  Writing handwritten letters is still romantic; email is robotic. Like what you say, we can keep letters for as long as we want to; whereas, email letters are deleted after a month or so.  And if our computer conked out, we lost everything in it.  Finding letters serendipitously gives us the feeling of surprise and happiness, espepcially if the letters were from our beloved.  Romantic, isn't it?  I still collect letters from my foreign pen pals way back.  They're yellowish now, yet my cherish possession.

For me, the sweetest music is when my name is being called out by the mailman or postman.  I will rush outside to meet the mailman who brings my letter at my doorstep.  And we will have a little chat and laugh, and joke.  I always look forward to seeing the mailman than my computer when it comes to personal letters.

09:58 AM Aug 25 2006 |

maniusia

maniusia

Poland

i am really sad i didnt get reall letters for so long time
i am getting e-mails but it istn the same it is nice to see postman/women in your door who have something for you isn't is? I have some postcards and i keep them i like reading theme and lookina at theme it is nice that someone want to sent me postcard bye stamps put it into the box and wait when i can say thanks.
I think thath e-mails are now so populkar and it dosen't give us any suprise when we get new message it is normal but when we will get letter from postwomen hand it will be big surprise for us.

08:28 PM Aug 25 2006 |

Felice

Felice

Philippines

I bet all the rice in china that computer emailing will not be able to beat the snail mail letter.  Computer will fade out.  Other equipment will replace computer in the future, so that computer will be obsolete.  But, I'm very sure, snail mail will remain the means of communication. For one thing, not all people know how to use the computer.  The old people – many of them, don't know how to use the email.  So, they use the snail mail to get their handwritten letters to their intended parties- could be their loved ones.  Before computer, typewriter replaced handwritten letters.  But just as computer is cold to the feeling, so was the typewriter.  Handwritten letters are still preferable than typewritten letters or the email letters. 

I still prefer the handwritten letters.  I could imagine the effort and attention accompanied by that letter.  I handwrite the letter, then carefully put it in a immaculate white envelope and careful to write down the name and address of the recipient.  Then, spend money for transportation to go to the Post Office, buy stamps, and carefully paste (with our sweet saliva, huh) the stamps on the envelope, and look for some seconds as if we want our love and affection to go with it.  Sosmetimes, we even kiss our letter before we thrust it to the big metal mail box.  And sigh a relief and hope it will arrive on time to our intended addressee.  Isn't that romantic?  Which can beat that? 

08:47 AM Aug 28 2006 |

zars

zars

Mexico

Well sms and email will not replace letter cuz they did it long time ago…

Letters were replaced cuz they're useless nowadays we need as soon as possible to get the information and technology's advanced very well on that.

and felice I disagree with you computers are here to stay, I guess people will just have to get used to it, for many reasons, it's cheaper, faster, safer, etc.

08:10 PM Aug 28 2006 |