Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Why do we read Quran, even if we can’t understand a single Arabic word????

nadiaaa

nadiaaa

Pakistan

This is a beautiful story.

An old  American Muslim lived on a farm in the mountains of eastern  Kentucky with his young  grandson. Each morning Grandpa was up early sitting at the kitchen table reading  his Quran.  His grandson wanted to be just like him and tried to imitate  him in every way he could.

One day the grandson asked, "Grandpa! I  try to read the Quran just like you but I don't understand it, and what I  do understand I forget as soon as I close the book. What good does reading  the Qur'an do?"

The Grandfather quietly turned from putting coal in the  stove and replied, "Take this coal basket down to the river and bring me back a  basket of water."
The boy did as he was told, but all the water  leaked out before he got back to the house. The grandfather laughed and  said, "You'll have to move a little faster next time," and sent him back to  the river with the basket to try again. This time the boy ran faster, but  again the basket was empty before he returned home. Out of breath, he told  his grandfather that it was impossible to carry water in a basket, and  he went to get a bucket instead.

The old man said, "I don't want a  bucket of water; I want a basket of water. You're just not trying hard  enough," and he went out the door to watch the boy try again.

At  this point, the boy knew it was impossible, but he wanted to show his  grandfather that even if he ran as fast as he could, the water would leak  out before he got back to the house. The boy again dipped the basket into  river and ran hard, but when   he reached his grandfather the basket was  again empty. Out of breath, he said, "See Grandpa, it's useless!"  

"So you think it is useless?" The old man said, "Look at the &nbs! p;basket ."

The boy looked at the basket and for the first time  realized that the basket was different. It had been transformed from a  dirty old coal basket and was now clean, inside and out.

"Son,  that's what happens when you read the Qur'an. You might not understand or  remember everything, but when you read it, you will be changed, inside and out.  That is the work of Allah in our lives."

04:54 AM Aug 16 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

javamanju

javamanju

India

when we were govered by islam we were the source for science while the rest in the world live in darkness

this only shows about your ignorance in other world cultures… It is a shame that humans are not given due credit for what they have achived.(both destructive and useful stuff).

The Chinese, Indian,Greek,Roman, Mesopotamian, Egyptian civilazations have contributed a lot to today's world

04:40 AM Aug 20 2008 |

flyingnbj

flyingnbj

Tunisia

@progression

Then look up in the lexikon for muslim scientists, the muslim world was one the most advanced cultures in the middle ages, Albategenius, Ibn Khaldung, Al-Idrisi etc. names of men who were the best in their field.

06:46 AM Aug 20 2008 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

I can prove that god exists – This is my own theory and not a copied one.

1) Where did human /living beings come from? – Ans. According to Evolutionary science, Humans /living things came from a primitive organism
2) Where did this primitive organism come from? – Ans. again According to Evolutionary science, this primitive organism came from organic molecules like amino acids etc which were in a primordial soup
3) Where did amino acid come from? – Ans. Amino acid /organic molecules came from chemical reaction of  molecules (N20, H20 etc) in the primitive earth atmosphere , Lightning aided this formation(lightning is discharge of energy)
4) Where did these molecules (H20, N20 etc) come from? Ans. Chemical reaction between atoms (oxygen, nitrogen etc) to maintain chemical equilibrium
5) Where did elements (oxygen nitrogen etc) come from? Ans. Fusion of lower atomic weight elements like hydrogen helium.
6) what is "Normal" hydrogen made of? Ans.  Protons and electrons (no neutron).
7) What is proton/electron made of? Ans. Quarks
8) What are quarks made of? Ans. energy Strings

From where did this energy string come from? – No answer
Who made it? What made it? How did it come? What is energy? – No answer
What was there before big bang? No answered

Do we exist or is it a illusion?  When a matter and an anti matter collide the matter disappears releasing energy (1 Mev)

So my conclusion is that god is something like energy (or energy itself).
But does this god send messenger and comes on earth as incarnations – I don't believe it can happen.

10:07 AM Aug 20 2008 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

java,

with this simple way!!!!....ooohh, then can u or ur scintests make a man no no..a fly has a soul…live and die

u ve proved to me that u don't know any thing about a matter puzzeled the scientists .....

oooh, what a pitty!!!... 

01:17 PM Aug 20 2008 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

progression,

science is the criteria , science who push those scientists to say the truth, no one forced them to say so…

but coz of ur ignorance(sorry u pushed me to say so)of science (that u calim) nor u ve a scientific brai to balance things , u said so ….sometimes i consider that as an execuse for u and some others but when the evidences become so clear and obveous and u waffling or neglegting it or like some replying in another thing…the excuse vainishes…

and as i told u before i'm no longer mind it

01:26 PM Aug 20 2008 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

"We shall show them Our portents on the horizons and within themselves until it will be manifest unto them that it is the Truth. Doth not thy Lord suffice, since He is Witness over all things? (53) How! Are they still in doubt about the meeting with their Lord? Lo! Is not He surrounding all things? (54) "

02:14 PM Aug 20 2008 |

Nasim

Nasim

India

My hand had been itching to reply but I simply couldn’t. Damn it on ebaby( oh no! I don’t mean it!). The site didn’t allow me to sign in with mobile.
Now to the topic. I had been watching this topic since the very beginning and I wonder to where is this straying! Nadia started it on Qur’an and now folks here are hell bent to prove the supremacy of Islam and dogmatic fights has been going on, spare alone the personal attack. I feel Except Hakimi, Lilimira Progression and several posts from osesame ans java talk in logical language. Everybody else just joins the fight!
Enough logic had been put forward and I need not add any more. But I’d just answer some posts
As for progression—> I personally believe that I’m a human first and then a muslim. I strictly believe in separating religion from the politics and Government. So 1=2 and 1=4 theory of yours vanishes for me. I’d never like to live in a country like Iran (Lastly I heard a news from Iran that a 12 year hungry kid was found to steal a piece of bread and without mercy the ISLAMIC court decided to run a truck over his right hand. Nobody considered that the kid was hungry. If wonder ehat YOU would have done if you were at his place. Endure your hunger?...eh)
For osesame—> Religion and science are two completely different aspects. To say that being muslim helped a scientist to invent something would be rubbish. Most notable scientists were atheists for they copuldn’t anage with the contradictory views of religion and science. But the greatest scientists of the world were believers (no matter what religion) for they knew how to manage. This is reflecte in the saying of Albert Einstein
“Science without religion is blind, religion without science is lame.”—Einstein
If you showed those names I can also add that Neil Armstrong, the first human on moon claimed that he heard Azan on moon and later converted. You can produce the saying of only a handful scientist in favor of a religion as Java claimed. So whether Islam is conducive to Scientifc developement is a totally different issue.
What argument can you give when the scientists say earth goes round the sun and religion claims sun goes round the earth?
For Java—>The theory you give on the existence of God is quite obsolete. We have been hearing it since our childhood. I have my own theories but I’m not interested in discussing them here. Later may be.
As for your argument- yes God is nothing but energy, the energy that regulates this whole universe. As it is said in Indian mythology—Without shakti(energy) even Shiba is Shaba(corpse).
PS—We’re here to exchange ideas right? I wonder who else than Nadia has been neutral so far?

10:41 AM Aug 21 2008 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

Nasim, u get what i wrote wrong..i didn't mean at all Quran came to develop science in particular…

Quran came to regulate human life in correct way with all the mean of the word….

those verses which deal with scientific phenomena just explained recently or describe something appeared just this days..r as a proof for whom believe in science only, that who revealed this book to the illitrate Mohammed no one but the Creator of the universe…

and the scientists ( who know science actualy not claiming) when knew those verses admit that no one can tell those vereses except the CREATOR of the creation…not any human in the 6 century…

i think my words r clear? if not tell me..

salam (mean peace fro whom not know)

02:28 PM Aug 21 2008 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

What a childish mind u have!!!!!....

what is the problem in that ?!!!!

i ve an excuse  for u that u r still young, and new in the life when u pass 30 i think u will be more stable …young men in ur age become somehow hot and rush, and experience in life will ripen ur brain…as we saw many who have grudge towards islam convert to it when they get older and more wisdom….

at all events, no one force u to believe or not …

"There is no compulsion in religion. The right direction is henceforth distinct from error. And he who rejecteth false deities and believeth in Allah hath grasped a firm handhold which will never break. Allah is Hearer, Knower. (2:256)"

03:39 PM Aug 21 2008 |

manar222

manar222

Egypt

progression
i will be serious with you
oh so you know everything actually this is righ but what you said that it’s( a childlish story )is wrong
progression
beleive me even if you get the real verses from the holy quran u will not understand them because u r none-mslim
this is the truth you will not understand the quran in this way for example although we are( as arabs)mslims sometime we get some verses wrong but when we ask about them we find out that we understand them incorrectly
that because all verses in the quran need each other to complete a certain idea
and thanks

03:56 PM Aug 21 2008 |